Warwick Figure Skaters was incorporated as a figure skating club in 1970. Two years later, we became a member club of U.S. Figure Skating which is the national governing body for the sport of figure skating. Warwick Figure Skaters started with only 3 hours of ice time per week and a handful of members. Today there are over 350 members registered with our club encompassing some 40 hours of ice time.
Warwick Figure Skaters is a non-profit organization that serves skaters, parents and skating lovers from age 3 through adult, in our Basic Skills Learn-to-Skate program all the way through advanced programs of instruction and our nationally ranked synchronized skating teams. Lessons are offered throughout the year during 3 different ice sessions. We are located at the Thayer and Warburton ice arenas at the Mickey Stevens Sports complex, 975 Sandy Lane, Warwick RI. We offer instruction in Basic Skills, Moves in the Field, Freestyle, Ice Dancing and Synchronized Team skating as well as off-ice conditioning classes.
We have proudly hosted some major Figure Skating Competitions:
- In 1994, we hosted the U.S. Figure Skating Synchronized Skating Championships.
- In 1995, we hosted the State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championship.
- In 1999, we hosted the Snowflake International Synchronized Skating Competition.
- In 2004 and 2007, we hosted the U.S. Figure Skating Eastern Sectional Synchronized Skating Championships
- We are also hosting the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating New England Regional Championships
We have also hosted numerous Regional and Sectional events as well as local competitions such as the 2002 Ocean State Dance competition and the 2005 NEICC Interclub Competition.
Over the years, Warwick Figure Skaters has been represented at sectional, regional and national levels in Freestyle, Moves in the Field, Ice Dance and Synchronized Team skating.